Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Westwood 50th Anniversary Student Video


This year, my high school turned 50 years old. As part of the preparations for the celebrations, I was approached to produce a student video detailing what life is like for the students in 2011, compared to 1961. I must say, I was quite surprised that I was picked (as I'm not the best with technology), but I eagerly accepted the task. The first thing I realized was that I couldn't do this by myself, so I recruited a number of my friends that I considered reasonably hardworking and dependable. For this task, group collaboration was the key to success. Normally, I prefer to do everything myself (as I don't trust other peoples work), but with the time constraint this wasn't feasible. The first thing I adjusted to was the need for compromise, which became clear as we sat down to plan the video out. I initially wanted to focus more on the teacher-student relationship, but some of the others brought forward ideas dealing with technology (i.e. cellphones). Together, and through some concessions on both sides, we were able to come up with a fairly detailed plan of action within a short period of time. The other major concern was time management. Each of us had different schedules, and it became clear that at certain points, I would not be able to oversee all the levels of production. As such, certain members shot when they had free time, while I oversaw production during my spares. Finally, there was coordination with the teachers, getting their involvement and ensuring what we had proposed was acceptable and feasible. This was probably the easiest aspect of the task for me since I have a good relationship with most of my teachers. I was willing to take their advice and suggestions for improving some of the scenes, which in the end was extremely beneficial to the final result of the project. Overall, the main aspects I focused on was group collaboration and organization of a project, both of which I feel I was able to accomplish fairly well.

1 comment: