Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Choral Major


One of the programmes that I have particularly enjoyed at my school is Choral Major which is an intensive coarse aimed at developing a singers vocal and technical skills to the fullest. The aspect that I especially enjoyed was the solo nights, in which I had the opportunity to expand my skills in solo singing. While I have enjoyed singing as a fun past time activity for years, it has only been recently (and particularly through this program) that I seriously began to study the art form. I soon realized that the effort that was required to train the voice, especially to expand ones octave range, was far larger than I initially anticipated. For example, I am a bass singer, yet to sing the majority of repertoire it was necessary to extend my range to at least a baritone (just slightly higher than a bass). To accomplish this, I performed various scale and vocal exercise to constantly stretch my range as much as possible. At times, this could be quite painful in the sense that I was pushing my vocal cords to the limit (hurting my throat). And indeed, it took a lot longer than expected, well over two years of consistent work in order to extend it to the point where I can now sing much of the music that I wish to. Also, solo performing has always been a bit nerve racking for, but by forcing myself to do it over and over again I have reached a point where I am comfortable doing. That's not to say I don't still get pre-performance nerves, it's just that now I know how to control them and channel that nervous energy into my performance in a manner that it enhances it.

1 comment:

  1. Class was three hours a week after school, running from September to June. Additional time was spent at the Winter and Spring Concerts, at the Winnipeg Music Festival, and during the two Solo Nights throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete